- April 3, 2013
- 33 Comments
So one of the perks of writing about all things Paleo is a chance to be your own guinea pig. Sitting down this weekend Randy and I decided to review what looked to be the three best Paleo Bread recipes we could find on the web. Warning: making 3 awesome Paleo breads in one day can be detrimental to your mental health, the peak of your primal life happening on a random Saturday might lead to severe depression or excessive Paleo bread intake.
Tell us your Paleo Success story and be entered for a chance to win a $200 Juicer or Food Dehydrator
Paleo Pumpkin Spice Bread
So what do I love about this recipe? Well the spice mix is the best tasting and also healthiest Pumpkin bread mix I have found to date, with a short list healthy ingredients it is what I call a no BS mix. It provides great flavor with an ingredient list of ingredients that you can decipher, things like Hazelnut flour and Coconut flour.
- 1 package of Paleo Spice Cake and Muffin Mix
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup melted coconut oil (just heat it up)
- 1 cup honey
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- Make Paleo Spice Cake and Muffin Mix according to package instructions, by combining pumpkin with wet ingredients before adding the dry mix.
- Spoon batter into two bread pans, two 9" round cake pans, or one 9x13" pan
- Bake cake pans at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes until cakes are cooked through and an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Paleo Coffee Cake
So to kick off this tastebud extravaganza, is our favorite on the list -- Deliciously Organics Paleo Coffee Cake. In fairness to the rest of the competitors Coffee Cake might be my favorite bread on the planet but all the same the bread was absolutely amazing. Light flavor of the bread due to the coconut milk, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and coconut oil was so tantalizing we made a second batch in the same day. The breads ability to melt in your mouth made this our favorite on the list. With 8 eggs in the recipe also an excellent source of protein even if you are using this as your dessert. So throw on the Coffee grab some Almond milk and sit down with this Paleo bread and you have a recipe for a great morning.
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Celtic sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 8 large eggs (organic and pastured preferred)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup plain whole yogurt
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter or coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups nuts (we used cashews you an also use almonds or cashews)
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon 4 tablespoons honey
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold, cut into tablespoons
Obviously we loved the bread so making it just as is will taste great. However, in our effort to continually improve (we're crossfitters what can you expect?) we think adding in a couple of splashes of coconut milk will help bring some more moisture to the recipe, due to the coconut flour's uncanny ability to soak up 8 eggs!
Paleo Lemon Bread
So its hard to know where to start with this Paleo bread, the great range of flavors seem to dance on your tastebuds. The variety of the taste is the perfect combination of sweetness and tart, while the coconut oil and milk give it an added creaminess that is to die for. Refreshing Paleo lemon bread and a warm cup of tea makes the perfect combination.
My favorite part of this recipe is the homemade glaze that goes on top of the bread. Typically glazes on anything Paleo are non existent or the taste makes you wish that was the case. However, in this recipe vanilla extract, real lemon juice, and honey make a great glaze that can make you believe you are truly eating icing.
The perfect way to eat this is sitting down with a warm glass of tea in the evening before sitting down to do some reading or watch your favorite show.
- 6 eggs
- ¼ cup coconut oil or butter, melted
- zest from 2 lemons
- juice from 2 lemons plus enough milk of choice (coconut milk from can or box, dairy milk, almond milk, etc.) to equal 1 cup*
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2/3 cup coconut flour (do NOT substitute another flour – it will not work. You can find coconut flour here: Organic Coconut Flour)
- 1 heaping teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 T butter or coconut oil
- 2 T honey
- 2 T milk of choice
- zest and juice from 1 lemon
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
Paleo Zucchini Bread
Its hard to go wrong with Zucchini bread but its even harder to go completely right and that is what our friends over at against all grain have done. They showed us the path to Paleo bread enlightenment and it goes through this Zucchini bread.
- 1-1/2 cup blanched almond flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 cup shredded, unpeeled zucchini
Perfect pairing is this with a glass of ice cold unsweetened almond milk. We cheated on the ingredients and added in a pinch more cinnamon and nutmeg, either way its delicious!
What are some of your favorite Paleo breads or treats? Let us know in the comments below and we will try and feature them in our next list.